19 year old Chidozie Awaziem who plays for FC Porto was among the new players called up by new Super Eagles coach Genort Rohr for Nigeria AFCON 2017 qualifiers against Tanzania.
Here are 11 facts you need to know about the young defender.
1. Chidozie Awaziem was born in Jos, Plateau State north central Nigeria although his parents are indigenes of Enugu State, Eastern part of Nigeria.
2. He didn’t play a single level of league football in Nigeria before joining FC Porto, he was signed directly from grassroot team El-Kanemi juniors of Jos.
3. He joined FC Porto last season helping their U-19 lift the Juniores title before he was promoted to the reserve team prior to the start of this season.
4. Ironically,Adjmar the scout who spotted him during a scouting programe in Nigeria termed Gee-lec football talent hunt search organized by Ramp football agency is no longer with FC Porto, he now works for Monaco.
5. Six of them were picked during the scouting exercise but only three are presently playing professional football, Awaziem and his Porto teammate Fidelis Irhene who is out on loan to Portimonense and Abass Ibrahim who is presently on the books of Pacos Fereira
6. Still only 19 years old but he stands at an impressive height which aptly describe his strong aerial abilities
7. He started off as a defensive midfielder before he was converted to a central defender at FC Porto probably why he is adept at picking passes in from his present position as a central defender.
8. Among the four Nigerians on the book of FC Porto he is the only one in the first team right now but just like Mikel Agu who is out on loan to Club Brugge, he also made his debut against Benfica at the Estadio da Luiz.
9. Babawo Mohammed presently manage his career as his agent and the former JUTH FC of Jos midfielder is slowly gaining a reputation in Nigeria when it comes to players transfer like well know Portuguese super scout Jorge Mendes.
10. His abilities saw him rise from the U-19 to the first team and subsequently making his debut after just 18 months at the club.
11. He has played 23 times for the B team picking up an unhealthy total of 8 yellow cards and one red card and even though he has just two appearances for the main team he has a caution to his name picked up in his first game for the A team, a League cup game against Farense.