Sunderland teen wonder Josh Maja who trained with the Super Eagles in London last week, following the cancellation of the proposed friendly game against Burkina Faso is one name Nigerians are not too familiar with.
18 year old Maja trained with the Eagles alongside the likes of Chuba Akpom, Ola Aina and Ebere Eze, with reports indicating that unlike Akpom he has committed his international career to Nigeria.
Owngoalnigeria.com chief editor Prince Michael takes a look at five facts about the youngster who has earned rare reviews for his performances this season.
1. Joshua Erowoli Orisunmihare Maja (Full Names) was Born in London Borough of Lewisham to Nigerian parents on the 27th of December 1998.
2. He joined Sunderland in a three way transfer involving Manchester City, where he was on loan from his parent club Fulham but ironically spent more time with Man City, but wasn’t offered scholarship terms by the Citizen.
3. Maja caught the eyes of scouts of Sunderland while playing against them for Manchester City U-17, and was handed trials by the Black Cats shortly afterwards.
4. Sunderland offered him a two year scholarship deal after impressing the team at the Future Champions Cup in South Africa in March 2015
5. A year after joining the team, he signed his first professional deal , a three year deal, and made his first team bow for the team in September last year, when he replaced Joel Asoro in the 2-1 win over QPR in the EFL Cup.