As exclusively reported by Owngoalnigeria.com Chidozie Awaziem will make his competitive debut for Nigeria against South Africa after coach Gernot Rohr selected him ahead of Kenneth Omeruo.
Represented by one of Nigeria’s most successful player intermediary Awaziem plays for Portuguese side FC Porto. Here are ten facts you need to know about the 20 year old.
1. He was born on the 1st of January 1997 in Jos, Plateau state, Nigeria.
2. Despite dazzling for the Nigeria U-17, he missed out on being a part of the Nigeria U-17 team to the 2015 World Youth Championship when it was discovered he was beyond the age.
3. Spotted by FC Porto in Keffi, Nasarrawa State during the Gee-Lec annual football scouting tournament, where he starred for El-Kanemi Juniors of Jos
4. Currently has a deal that runs till the summer of 2020 with FC Porto, where he made 35 appearances for the B team, a season after making 10 appearances for the main team.
5. He didn’t play for the first team of FC Porto this season, but still highly rated and commands a buy out clause of 20 million euros.
6. Very good in aerial duels and scoring from defence. The one major drawback about his game is his penchant to pick up bookings, with two red and 15 yellow cards to his name last season.
7. Originally a defensive midfielder, he was converted to a central defender by the coach of FC Porto U-18 upon his arrival in Portugal in 2015.
8. Quick of the ground and hard in tackles he won titles with the U-19 and B team of FC Porto in back to back season in the 2014/2015 and 2015/2016 season respectively.
9. Last season he scored in the 3-0 thumping of Swansea City which helped Porto claim the International Champions League trophy meant for U-19 players.
20. According to his agent Babawo Mohammed he is in talks with French Ligue 1 side Nantes, and could head for a medical after today’s game if negotiations progresses as expected.