Dutch top division side Vitesse Arnhem recently announced the signing of AS Trencin Nigerian winger Hillary Gong on a four year deal for a fee in the region of almost €4m.
Owngoalnigeria.com has tracked the winger right from his formative days at Jos where he turned out for the famous GBS Football Academy, which is owned by popular youth coach Ahmed Ibrahim, the one most people refer to as ‘ Coach Bros’.
Hong started his football with the Academy and didn’t play for any team in the various leagues in Nigeria before joining Trencin 18 months ago, where he grew in leaps and bounds.
In the only full season he played at the club, the 19 year old showed why he is widely regarded as the closest thing to have come out of Nigeria in terms of wingers since the exit of Finidi George formerly of Ajax .
Here are five things fans of Vitesse should expect from the forward, who is widely tipped to be a big hit in the Dutch Eredivisie at same club where Nigerian forward Abiola Dauda failed to sparkle.
1. The indigene of Jos in Plateau state Nigeria is quick, strong & skillful.
2. A cultured winger who can defend when the need arises without neglecting his main duty in attack. Simply put, he is very good at both ends of the pitch.
3. Hong is rated as one of the most technical player in the Slovakian league last season due to his ability to know when to run at defenders, shoot, pass or even go for goals with the balls at his feet. His positioning without the ball is also top notch.
4. He finised last season with 14 assists in all competitions. Which increased his total contribution in terms of goals to 26 as he also found the back of the net 12 times. Meaning he can create and also score goals.
5. Fans of Vitesse should be rest assured that their new signing won’t miss games due to injuries or suspension. Since moving to Trencin his health and disciplinary record is about the best in the division.