As coach Gernot Rohr begins the process of finding more options in goal for the Super Eagles after their campaign at the Russia 2018 World Cup, Owngoalnigeria.com take a look at the options available to the Franco-German coach.
1. Francis Odinaka Uzoho : Established himself as the first choice goalkeeper of the team with a strong performance at the World Cup in Russia and his performance has already earned him the right to push for the first choice spot at Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna.
2. Dele Alampasu ( CD Feirense) : He was first choice ahead of Uzoho at the 2013 U17 World Youth Championship but his failures to establish himself at Portuguese side CD Feirense has saw him drop down the pecking order in the senior national team.
So far he has gotten game time in pre season training, it however remains to be seen if he will get same when the league resumes.
3. Maduka Okoye ( Fortuna Dusseldorf) – His availability was brought to the attention of Nigerians by coach Gernot Rohr, who confirmed positive talks with the shot stopper early this year.
At newly promoted Bundesliga side Fortuna Dusseldorf, Okoye who was born in Germany to a Nigerian father and a German mother is now firmly established as the third choice goalkeeper of the team and has so far kept some games in pre season.
4. David Nwokolor ( Sered) -. A botched friendly game against Egypt denied him the chance of making his debut for the Super Eagles while he was on loan to Bosnian side Vitez. Presently on loan from HNK Rijeka to Slovakian side SKF Sered, the 22 year old Nwokolor comes highly recommended.
So far he has played more top flight games than any Nigerian goalkeeper in Europe bar Vincent Enyeama , although last season the Football Academy Abuja graduate was out injured, hence didn’t play at all.
5. Sebastian Osigwe ( Kriens) – A one time invitee to the Nigerian U20 team. The now 24 year old struggled to get games at newly promoted Switzerland second division side SC Kriens. He played just once based on our checks and unless he regains the number one spot, he might as well kiss his national team career bye bye.