The Super Eagles of Nigeria are through to next year Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon after their 1-1 draw against South Africa in Johannesburg sealed their spot at the tournament.
Owngoalnigeria.com takes a look at some players who have been part of the Super Eagles squad under Gernot Rohr but could miss out on a spot in the final squad for the tournament.
1. Ogenyi Onazi – Rumor of a rift sparked by his comments after he was left out of the squad for their last round of games have been laid to rest by Rohr who insist the Trabzonspor midfielder was left out of his squad due to fitness issues. However it appears their relationship have deteriorate a bit and that could cost him a spot in the Nigerian team for the team, if it happens to be true.
2. Henry Onyekuru – A shock inclusion in the our list but the highly rated forward is yet to deliver on the international scene for Nigeria even though he is quite lethal at club level for Galatasaray where he is on loan from Everton. Onyekuru could be the odd man out by the time Rohr drafts his squad for the AFCON due to the plethora of options who have proven themselves in the team more than the 20 year old.
3. Chidozie Awaziem – Trusted by Rohr but his lack of game time at FC Porto will no doubt harm his chances of making the Nigerian team. He has six months to get his spot back but the emergence of Semi Ajayi in central defence could still cost him his place even if his club form improves.
4. John Obi Mikel – A different case from the players mentioned above in the sense that he might announce his retirement before the tournament next year. Injuries have not been kind to the captain and as reported by Owngoalnigeria.com he is currently weighing up the option of quitting the senior national team of Nigeria.
5. Isaac Success – A revelation for Watford this season but can’t say same about the Nigerian national team, unconfirmed reports has it that Rohr is a tad unhappy with his work ethics particularly off the ball. Victor Osimhen was preferred ahead of him in the last friendly game against Uganda and that should give him an inkling of what to expect if he fails to improve his form at international level.