A lot has been said about the lack of involvement of players based in the Nigeria Profesional Football League ( NPFL) since the appointment of coach Gernot Rohr by the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) two years ago.
Rohr was asked about his decision to always leave home based players out of his squad and the coach responded by saying he has called up to 20 players from the Nigeria Profesional Football League since his appointment.
Owngoalnigeria.com did a list of all the local lads who have trained with the Super Eagles and from our checks, a total of 19 players have played for the team starting from Kano Pillars defender Jamiu Alimi who was the only outfield player called up by Rohr for his first game in charge against Tanzania.
In that same squad goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Nigeria Rio 2016 Olympics shot stopper Emmanuel Daniel of Enugu Rangers back then was also called up by the coach and in his second competitive game away to Zambia four home based players were in the team.
The duo of Godwin Obaje of Wikki Tourist and Chisom Egbuchulam who was at Enugu Rangers joined the aforementioned goalkeeper duo to swell the number of players from the Nigeria Profesional Football League for trip to Ndola.
Here is a full list of all the players and the game they were called up for as compiled by Mohammed Mowiz Suleman.
1.Jamiu Alimi ( Tanzania)
2.Chisom Egbuchulam ( Zambia)
3. Godwin Obaje ( Zambia)
4. Emmanuel Daniel ( Tanzania, Zambia)
5. Ikechukwu Ezenwa
6, Dele Ajiboye ( Pre World Cup Camp)
7. Afeez Aremu ( Zambia In Uyo)
8. Ifeanyi Ifeanyi ( Cameroon In Yaounde)
9. Stephen Odey ( Togo, Corsica)
10. Sikiru Olatubosun ( Togo, Corsica)
11. Stephen Eze ( Several Games)
12. Alhassan Ibrahim (Several Games)
13. Gabriel Okechukwu ( Serbia, Poland)
14 . Junior Lokosa ( Congo Dr)
15. Theophilus Afelokhai ( South Africa, Uganda)
16. Mfon Udoh ( Liberia)
17. Ebube Duru ( Liberia)
18. Olamilekan Adeleye (Liberia, South Africa, Uganda)
19. Sunday Adetunji (Liberia)